Since the Foundation bears his name, its ideals and objectives are those most deeply held by John. John would say, “I’m no better than and no less than anyone else. You don’t give until it hurts; you give until it feels good.” John believed a person was a success if you treat people the way you would want to be treated. Be fair, tell the truth, and be honest. The values of honesty, integrity, loyalty and inclusiveness will be carried on through his Foundation.
The John T. Vucurevich Foundation honors and builds on the personal legacy of giving of John T. Vucurevich by facilitating solutions to key challenges facing South Dakota and the Black Hills Region in the areas of health and human services, education and the arts. JTVF provides funding and human resources to make a greater impact on the community through a collaborative approach that creates a sense of shared responsibility among partners and promotes long-term sustainable change.
The Foundation seeks to learn about and understand community issues through partnerships with other funders, community leaders, organizations, governments and schools. We convene or participate in community meetings or taskforces to identify and understand pressing issues to pro-actively solicit grant proposals or invest human resources. We want to continuously learn and adapt to new ideas or new ways to accomplish our desired outcomes. Our funding priorities are set based upon careful consideration and analysis of community needs. While we will still accept unsolicited proposals in the areas of arts, education and health and human services we encourage collaborative proposals to make the greatest impact in the following identified areas:
- Improve school readiness and attendance.
- Align out of school time programs to student’s individualized scholastic goals.
- Improve grade level achievement in reading and math.
- Enhance on-time high school graduation rates.
- Advance work and life skills.
- Provide access to higher education.
- Provide arts education for the underserved.
- Increase access to affordable healthcare, including physical, dental and behavioral.
- Reduce domestic violence, substance abuse, child abuse and neglect.
- Improve access to basic human needs including affordable housing and food.
- Advance the safety and well being of children.
If you are interested in providing input on any of these topics, or you are a Foundation or philanthropist who would be interested in collaborative funding of projects please contact Sandy Diegel, President & CEO at email@example.com at the John T. Vucurevich Foundation office at (605) 343-3141.
Before submitting an unsolicited proposal, please review our Eligibility Guidelines.